Apples To Apples - Official Rules - Junior
Setting Up The Game
- 1 - Remove the card tray from the box (green apples on the right, red in the left & center).
- 2 - Pick a player to be the first judge.
- 3 - The first judge deals 5 red apples (face down) to each person (including themself).
Playing The Game
- As soon as every player has 5 red apples, players may look at their cards.
- 1 - The judge takes the top green apple, reads it out loud, and places it (face up) on the table.
- 2a - Each player (except the judge) picks the red apple card in their hand that they think is most like the green apple on the table.
- Cards that begin with the word "My" mean the judge. For example, "My Shoes" would mean the judge's shoes.
- 2b - Each player (except the judge) places the red apple card they chose face down on the table.
- It's OK if none of the red apple cards in your hand are really close. Different judges will pick different winners and they might like yours best anyway.
- 3 - The judge mixes up the red apple cards that everyone played so that nobody knows who played which card.
- 4a - The judge flips over each red apple and reads it out loud, one card at a time.
- 4b - The judge selects the red apple that is most like the green apple they played, or the red apple that is their favorite.
- It's OK to try and make the judge pick a red apple (whether or not it is yours), as long as you don't let the judge know who played it.
- Once the judge picks the winner, the decision is final and cannot change.
- 5 - The judge gives the green apple to the person who played the winning red apple.
- 6 - Players keep the green apples they've won on the table (in front of them) so that everyone can keep score.
- 7 - The judge picks up all of the red apples played during that round and puts them in the box (not the tray).
- 8 - The judge passes the card tray to the left and that person is the next judge.
Winning The Game
- 9 - The new judge deals out enough red apples to make sure that everyone has 5 in their hand.
- 1 - Keep score by keeping the green apples you've won on the table (in front of you).
- 2 - The first player to earn 4 green apples wins the game.
If you have e-mail regarding this Apples To Apples page, e-mail either
to return to the Apples To Apples Official Rules main page.
to return to the Apples To Apples main page.